Aside from waves hands at everything, my year started and ended with a familiar issue: email bounces.
The first was the bounces from the self-run mailhosts of Firefox contributors that had gone down or had mistakenly classified mail from Bugzilla as spam.
The end of the year was bounces at industrial scale from a Gmail outage that affected every organization sending mail, including my new job at Bandcamp.
In app notifications can be the Devil’s work, but oh my Sweet XML Jesus, sending email is still a thing.
- You Look Like a Thing and I Love You, Janelle Shane
- An Unkindness of Ghosts, Rivers Solomon
- Gender Queer, Maia Kobabe
- The Language of Power, Rosemary Kiersten
- The Telescopic Tourist’s Guide to the Moon, Andrew May
- Black Software: The Internet and Racial Justice, from the Afronet to Black Lives Matter, Charlton McIlwain
- The Empire of Gold, S.A. Chakraborty
- The Relentless Moon, Mary Robinette Kowal
- Pet, Akwaeke Emezi
- Annabel Scheme and the Adventure of the New Golden Gate, Robin Sloan
- The City in the Middle of the Night, Charlie Jane Anders
- Ring Shout, P. Djèlí Clark
- The Avalanches, We Will Always Love You
- SAULT, Untitled (Rise)
- Khruangbin, Mordechai
- Fontaines D.C. A Hero’s Death
- Songhoy Blues, Optimisme
- Jesse Ware, What’s Your Pleasure?
- Deep Sea Diver, Impossible Weight
- Altın Gün, “Ordunun Dereleri”
- Big Joanie, “Cranes in the Sky (Solange Cover)”
- Anderson .Paak, “Lockdown”
- The Mountain Goats, “This Year”
Games of note
- Blaseball, The Game Band
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Nintendo